Today, I was invited back to screen print for Wimbledon. After discussions with David, we thought an additional feature to the game box would be to have the false bottom/tray to include a representation line drawing to show players the location of each of the blocks within this puzzle concept. In terms of production, this is quite simple—I just take the line drawing I’ve referenced for creation of the CNC blocks, clean up the lines, then send this file to the screen print technician, Charlotte.
I sent her a few variations of the lines at 1mm thickness, 2.5mm, and 5mm. I don’t know how receptive the screen is to thin lines, so I gave this range to Charlotte. In the end, we only used the 1mm and 2.5mm, as the 5mm was too thick of a stroke.
To me, most of the prints turned out really well. Charlotte was concerned that lines would be translucent, but this wasn’t an issue. The only dilemma, however, was that prior to our session, I cut each card or foam stock down exactly to the size of the puzzle concept. This made printing difficult, as the material could be printed at an angle, or cut off some the design. I had to quickly rush off to Wimbledon’s art shop to purchase some more foam material, cutting this again to allow for some excess material on all sides.
I realised that soon after this session, however, cutting this excess with a scalpel, especially with foam material, leaves a horrible serrated edge. I already booked a session with Isabelle in the afternoon, so I brought the tray material with me to cut the sides, as well as cut a circle roughly in the middle of the tray, to allow a player’s finger to pass through and lift the tray.
The moment of truth, at the end of the day!